Today I was thinking about the weather and how much it affects our skin. In the summer, we wear less clothing, exposing our skin to the harmful effects of the sun. We also allow our skin to dry out from exposure to hot air, not to mention the drying effects of chlorine as we indulge ourselves in a nice dip in the pool! So how do we combat dry skin when battling the natural forces of weather? The answer is exfoliating body scrubs!
When used properly, exfoliating body scrubs can help make sure that your skin never gets to the point where you look like you’ve been enjoying the summer!
The main benefits of a body scrub for your skin and health:
- Exfoliation – Body scrubs contain ingredients (most commonly sugar or salt) that are mildly abrasive. These abrasive ingredients help to remove layers of dead skin cells. Dead skin cells are the main culprit in dry, dull and lifeless skin. As we age, our skin naturally regrows skin cells at a much slower rate. By exfoliating with a body scrub, you are essentially giving your skin that little push it needs to regenerate healthy and radiant cells. Allowing dead skin cells to accumulate often leads to extremely dry and cracked skin.
- Increased Blood Flow – When giving yourself a body scrub treatment, the natural act of massaging it into your skin helps to improve the flow of blood and fluids within your body.
- Detoxify - With increased blood flow you help to rid your body of toxins absorbed from pollutants and through the food we eat.
It is important that you use your body scrub in the correct manner. Here is a step by step guide on how to use Sensual Scentsations’ body scrubs (These directions also apply to most scrubs in the market.):
- Always apply to wet or damp skin.
- Gently scrub in a circular motion.
- It is very important that you scrub very gently. There is no need to scrub with a lot of pressure, as your body scrub contains abrasive ingredients that will do the scrubbing for you. If you scrub too hard you are likely to leave your skin irritated and scratched.
- Apply to your entire body avoiding your face and genitals.
- Body scrubs are generally too abrasive for use on the face. There are a variety of facial scrubs available for purchase at reputable bath & body shops. You should only use a scrub on your face that is created for that specific purpose.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Pat Dry.
- We often forget to pat dry when we use a body scrub. Patting yourself dry helps to avoid any irritation to your freshly exposed skin.
- If your skin feels dry, follow up with an all natural skin moisturizer.
A very important note to take into consideration is whether or not you are using a body scrub that does or does not contain a preservative. At Sensual Scentsations we do not use preservatives in our scrubs to keep them as natural as possible for your skin. If using a preservative free body scrub, DO NOT introduce water into your scrub. Make sure that you use a clean scoop or spoon to obtain your scrub from its container before hopping into the shower or bath. Water is a major culprit in bacteria growth.